The photo below is such an obvious publicity stunt that it amazes me that people are buying into it.Â Supposedly Plastic Pelosi wants Congress to be all about children, and wow! did she ever create the touching photo op – Pelosi (a mother and grandmother) surrounded by children as she becomes the first female Speaker of the House.Â Let the music swell at this historic and triumphant moment:
It would be encouraging and touching if the warm-and-fussy spin were real.Â However, the “message” of the photo op is as fake as Pelosi’s apparently newly sculpted smile.Â
The sad thing is that Pelosi would have condoned the killing of every single one of those children on the podium with her if their mothers had decided, after becoming pregnant, that they didn’t want the children – as long as it was at least a few minutes before their birth.Â You know -Â a baby isÂ merely “fetal tissue” until it’s born.Â Forget the heartbeat that starts within weeks of conception, forget the hiccups that babies get beforeÂ birth.Â Forget theÂ children that have been aborted but managed to live anyway – with sometimes disastrous results.Â Forget the heartache and regret that so many women who choose abortion experience.Â Forget that men have NO rights when it comes to their unborn children but major financial responsibility for them the second they’re born.Â
Most of all, forget that abortion has NOTHING to do with a woman’s right to make decisions about her own body.Â Nothing.Â Absolutely nothing.Â It has everything to do with a woman’s right to kill her baby.
Pelosi’s record is telling – voting 100% of the time to make sure women can get an abortion up to the last minute – making sure that partial-birth abortions are not banned – making sure that transporting minors across state lines to get abortions is not banned.Â Any way an abortion can be assured, Pelosi has voted for it.
In an interview in October, Pelosi was asked about her pro-abortion stance.Â Her reply wasÂ appallingly shallow:
To me it isnâ€™t even a question. God has given us a free will. Weâ€™re all responsible for our actions. If you donâ€™t want an abortion, you donâ€™t believe in it, [then] donâ€™t have one. But donâ€™t tell somebody else what they can do in terms of honoring their responsibilities.
Oh. If you don’t agree with her, then just shut up.Â But who is speaking for the baby’s rights?Â Who is being the advocate for the baby who can’t speak for him/herself?Â Â If the baby could speak up, he/she would most likely say something like, “Wait!Â I want a chance at life!Â If you don’t want me, then let some of the thousands of people who can’t have children and who want a baby so badly adopt me!Â Is it such an awful thing to let me live?Â Must you kill me so your life won’t be inconvenienced?”Â
Again, the decision to abort has NOTHING to do with a woman’s control of her own body.Â It has to do with killing another human being.
The facts don’t bear out the “It’s all about the children” crap Pelosi has been spreading.
Here’s a copy of Pelosi’s voting record on abortion:
- Voted YES on allowing human embryonic stem cell research. (May 2005)
- Voted NO on restricting interstate transport of minors to get abortions. (Apr 2005)
- Voted NO on making it a crime to harm a fetus during another crime. (Feb 2004)
- Voted NO on banning partial-birth abortion except to save motherâ€™s life. (Oct 2003)
- Voted NO on forbidding human cloning for reproduction & medical research. (Feb 2003)
- Voted NO on funding for health providers who don’t provide abortion info. (Sep 2002)
- Voted NO on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad. (May 2001)
- Voted NO on federal crime to harm fetus while committing other crimes. (Apr 2001)
- Voted NO on banning partial-birth abortions. (Apr 2000)
- Voted NO on barring transporting minors to get an abortion. (Jun 1999)
- Rated 100% by NARAL, indicating a pro-choice voting record. (Dec 2003)
- Supported funding contraception and UN family planning. (Jul 1999)