55 days until I retire after over 30 years of teaching. I’ve taught 2nd grade, 3rd grade, 4th grade, 5th grade, 6th grade and 7th grade. The past six years I’ve been a reading specialist. Probably a third of my years of teaching were spent in 2nd grade. I think my favorite grade, however, was 5th grade.
And now, I’m 55 days away from the end of my formal teaching career. I am certain that I will be a teacher until the day I die - whether it’s teaching the grandkids to cook, teaching s Vacation Bible School class or tutoring to pick up some extra money.
What are my plans for retirement?
(1) Will get my pilot’s license. Yes, you read that correctly. Ron has his pilot’s license and owns a small airplane. I fly with him often, and I think it would be great for me to also have my pilot’s license and be able to do the flying occasionally. Plus, I’d feel more confident on flights if I knew that - should the need arise - I could land the plane myself.
(2) Get my house in order. I start days off with lots of energy and the go-getum to get a lot done. By the time I get home from work, I’m exhausted with only enough stamina to do whatever is necesary. Thus, there is a lot of organization that is lacking in our home. I don’t like clutter, and I am looking forward to having the time to get everything organized and in order. A place for everything, and everything in its place.
(3) Raise money for Lily’s Garden.
(4) Volunteer in some capacity to help children who are dealing with cancer.
(5) Spend more time with my granddaughters - including my new one - 2-week old Evey.